Monday, September 8, 2008


I was simply sitting today, thinking idly about physics in my spare time, when I came upon an application in my own home. A plasma lamp that I had lying around, which I barely paid attention to anymore. But wait, this is indeed science at work! As the name suggests, the arcing light was not electric current, as I had originally assumed, but plasma. "I know how this plasma comes to be in that tube?" I thought to myself. "It's physics." Now, I learned that the plasma is made by the electric current interacting with the gas trapped inside the glass, through a process called ionization. During this process, the electric current is used to change the number of electrons present throughout the gas, creating a charged environment. The gases are formulated and the lamp built so that this ionization would convert the gas into plasma. This is the plasma which you see in the picture above, in glowing arcs. Being near my computer, I was able to begin writing immediately, in order to preserve my experience.

No comments: