Wednesday, November 5, 2008


It's interesting how physics comes to you when you least expect it. Today, for example, when I was walking in my socks across a tile floor. The socks provide poor traction for the tile, so of course I could not walk too quickly. Years ago, I had already found that the problem of slipping would be alleviated somewhat if I put all my weight on the foot pushing me off from the ground. Now, with my expanded knowledge of physics, I understand exactly why this works. By putting all my weight on one foot, I increase the friction, specifically the static friction, of my socks against the floor. As I explained in my last post, this is due to the increase of my downward force upon the ground, which in turn increases the upward force of the floor on me. This force is then augmented by the coefficient of static friction, which is a representation of how well two materials, in this case my socks and the floor, "grip" each other. The result is that the force of me moving forward is no longer enough to overcome the increased friction, and so my socks do not slip.

No comments: