Monday, January 26, 2009


As we begin our unit on magnetism, I find it appropriate to dig out this thing. That is, the flashlight in the center. How this works is very simple. You shake it, which passes the magnetic metal bit in the center through a copper coil. This then electrically charges the coil through Faraday's Law, which we haven't learned, as a form of induction, which we have. The electricity then flows through the wire to a capacitor, which stores the energy until the flashlight is turned on. Frankly, I'm still not entirely sure how it works, but I'm hoping that through physics I might gain an understanding of it. Instead, I'd like to point out the amazing ability of physics to turn shaking a flashlight into power for it.

1 comment:

kohara said...

yah, good one, sam. i have the exact same flashlights, which we indeed will study in a future topic. electromagnetic induction! your description is good so far.